Identity theft occurs when someone uses your personal information such as your Social Security Number, account number, or credit card number without your consent to commit fraud or other crimes. The following are tips to protect you against identity theft:
- Report lost or stolen checks or credit/debit cards immediately.
- Never give out your personal information.
- Review statements promptly and carefully.
- Shred all documents that contain confidential information (i.e. bank and credit card statements, bills and invoices that contain personal information, expired credit cards and pay-stubs.)
- Check your credit report periodically.